Humans are using their powers for different purposes from ancient times. Today this power is giving ways for generating electricity. Pedal power means transfer of human energy from one body part that is leg to a power generating system. After pedaling the bicycle, energy is transferred from human body to equipments that work with electric power. If a person pedal at continues speed for 10 minutes, he can easily generate 1/4hp of current.
What pedal power does?
Pedal power uses bicycle power generator to lighten bulbs or supply power to many other appliances. Production of power under this method completely depends on human capabilities. As more and more appliances are attached with power generator, it becomes tough for the person to maintain the supply. Pedal power generating system is combination of different technologies including man power and bicycle as most important. Other technologies used with this system include Voltage and current meters, capacitors, display board, and transmitters etc. Pedal power is very easy and simple to use, so a non-technical person or even a kid can also try using it.
Operating Principles of Pedal Power:
Pedal power works under three main principles, power levels, pedaling rate and gear ratios.
- Power levels depend on capacity of human to pedal. Power level depends on how strong the peddler is and how long he can pedal. It is considered that a healthy non-athlete can easily generate up o 75 watts of mechanical power while an athletic person can give twice to this value. A smaller and weaker person can probably produce 50 watts in same time period. This analysis shows that power level varies with health of peddler.
- Pedaling rate is another principle that influences pedal power. It counts the number of pedals a person made with pedaling speed. But some persons can produce more power at slow but consistent counts of pedal. Therefore we can say that this rate varies from person to person because of physical conditions. A research shows that if a person pedal at range of 50 to 70 revolutions per minute then he can give most efficient results.
- Gear ratio is relationship between rotating speed and pedaling rate. Balance between these two figure let us get beneficial results.
How pedal power is helping us in real world:
- Pedal power is a reliable source of energy. It is helping humans in their survival. Worldwide more than 3.5 million people die due to water related diseases every year. To help everyone a Japanese company is developing a bicycle that purifies the water. Bicycle rider can take water from a river or lake with a hose attached with it and starts pedaling. Pedaling power pumps that water through multi-unit filtration system and produces about 1.3 gallons of clean water per minute.
- Pedal motion is helping this world in generating electricity to run heavy machines and help home users. But new advancement in this technology is conversion of mechanical power into electricity and then converting electric power back into mechanical motion. With this repetitive motion different businesses are enjoying benefits.
- Pedaling does not help at business or global level but it is also helping us in maintaining our physic. When you pedal at home, you lose some inches from your body and generate some electric power to run your appliances at the same time. You can store your produced energy into batteries as well to use it later.
- Human-powered nebulizer technology has been developed to help patients suffering from respiratory diseases. This technology uses a bicycle frame and pedals with a piston and tubing is attached with the machine, it turns liquid medicines into mist and flow it to patient’s lungs through a mouthpiece attached with it.